Porcelain Dental Crowns
We’d love to meet you, and give you the smile you deserve.
Porcelain dental crowns are a versatile restorative dentistry solution that fixes damaged teeth, as well as a cosmetic dentistry procedure that makes unsightly teeth look better. Ask your Atlantis Dental team in Framingham, MA, if a porcelain dental crown is right for your smile makeover.
Fix a Damaged Tooth with a Porcelain Dental Crown
When a tooth is damaged by decay, infection, or injury, a crown – also referred to as a cap – is designed to build it back up so it is returned to normal shape and size, looks natural, and functions properly. Some of the most common oral health problems that call for a crown include the following:
- Fractured tooth: A broken or cracked tooth allows bacteria and food particles into the tooth, leading to decay and further deterioration. A crown covers the entire tooth for a complete solution.
- Tooth decay: Some cavities are much larger than others and, after the removal of decay, there is not enough enamel to support a tooth-colored filling. In cases like this, porcelain crowns are a robust and reliable solution.
- Infected tooth: When you have a severely infected tooth that requires root canal therapy, a crown covers the treated tooth and protects it to prevent the development of more problems.
- Weak tooth: Some teeth are simply weaker than others and far more susceptible to breaking or cracking. A crown strengthens a weak tooth and makes it durable.
Beautify Unsightly Teeth with Porcelain Dental Crowns
You don’t need to be in the middle of a dental emergency or require a dental restoration to qualify for a porcelain dental crown. There are many smile makeovers that involve the placement of customized crowns to simply make teeth look better.
- Stained or discolored tooth: You want whiter teeth and may even invest in professional teeth whitening. However, some teeth cannot be whitened because of the kind of stains they contain. A crown can be matched to your existing enamel so the discolored tooth blends in.
- Oddly shaped tooth: A beautiful smile is a consistent smile, and a misshapen tooth stands out for its unwanted differences from neighboring teeth. A crown is customized in shape, size, and color to eliminate any oddly shaped teeth.
- Aging teeth: As you get older, your teeth have worked harder that much longer. If you have one or two teeth that simply aren’t holding up to the rest of your smile, a cap for each of them will fortify them so they both work and look great.
How Porcelain Dental Crowns Are Applied
The porcelain dental crown procedure typically takes two visits to your Framingham dentist to complete and follows this timeline:
- Preparation: The first appointment involves the preparation of the tooth in question. Damaged areas will be removed and the tooth will be shaped and smoothed so it’s ready for the crown.
- Design: Your Framingham dentist will also take an impression of the tooth so a customized crown can be made for you by the dental lab. The shape, size, and color of the crown will be carefully designed to blend in with the rest of your smile.
- Temporary crown: If needed, and usually depending on the location of the tooth in question, a temporary crown is put in place while you wait for your restoration to be made.
- Fitting: At the second visit, the permanent crown will be fitted to your tooth and adjusted for fit and appearance before being bonded securely in place and checked for comfort. The crown should fit snugly and seamlessly and look, feel, and work just like a natural tooth.
Get a Porcelain Tooth Crown in Framingham
Do you have a problem tooth that you suspect needs more than a tooth-colored filling? Are you embarrassed by an unsightly tooth that mars your entire smile? Whatever your oral health concerns, the dental team at Atlantis Dental in Framingham can help. Contact us to schedule a consultation and find out if you’re a good candidate for a porcelain dental crown.